Monday, April 25, 2016

"Cleopatra," The Lumineers

The 2016 follow-up, "Cleopatra," to The Lumineers' self-titled debut LP has arrived. The radio and mainstream success of the folk/soul-rock band has allowed them to remain relevant after four years of little in the ways of new music. The mainstream acceptance of the band seems to be because of instead of in spite of Wesley Schultz's oddly beautiful, intimate lead vocals. This intimacy comes through across "Cleopatra," and still remains bright and energetic.

I mentioned on my first Wednesday Morning Playlist that I've been craving upbeat music lately. "Cleopatra," for all of its simplicity and fun has been fulfilling this need for me. Yet the wistfulness and poeticism that draws me to quiet indie rock and folk never wavers. The radio-friendly "Ophelia" is just the tip of the iceberg.

Don't miss: "Sleep on the Floor," "Angela," and one of my all-time favorites, finally released, "Gun Song"

No comments:

Post a Comment